Monday, February 6, 2012

The Earth is Yours

So this week I've been pondering the holiness of God. The word holy is not a word that most of us understand. That is because nothing that we experience on earth is holy! God is holy and compared to His holiness, we are nothing! Zero! Zilch! When we experience a taste of God's holiness we are undone. Throughout the Bible we see people who experience the holiness of God and are completely changed. Moses, Isaiah, Peter, Job, Habakkuk, John, etc. Every one of them is terrified and transformed. Jacob called the place he dreamt of the stairs between heaven and earth the house of God. He was totally changed by His experience. Why are we not changed when we worship God in church? Is it possible that we don't worship to communicate with a holy God? Is it possible that we have diminished God to something that created the world but is now only as powerful as we are? Do we assume that the Spirit in us is not the Spirit which raised Christ from the dead? I expect many of you would deny these accusations but if you really examine your life, you might discover that we have elevated ourselves compared to God in our minds. In reality, God's holiness is enough to destroy us if we were even to experience anything near it's totality.

In other news, this week was good! I was fairly busy at work and I am learning slowly but surely. I spent this weekend in Rolla celebrating London's birthday. She was incredibly busy and I had to learn a lot about being selfless in how I treat her. She did not have much time for me with school and ministry related events. But I was not there to get attention from her, I was there to serve her and help her focus and take some of the load off. Even though I did give her a couple gifts and we had a nice dinner, the gift which made me the happiest was when I was able to just sit and help her study and stay focused. It wasn't natural for me as I am naturally selfish and prideful, but it is something I am working on and I have to say it is very fulfilling to make a relationship completely about the other person! Until next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment